For a nominal yearly fee ($44/year), you can purchase a Passport America membership that could help you save money at various campgrounds in the US, Canada, and Mexico. If you choose your campgrounds wisely, you can get some great deals that will more than makeup for the yearly fee. You do need to be sure to check the reviews for the campgrounds on Google or other apps to ensure the quality of the campground is good. We never stayed at a bad Passport America campground but we did do our research ahead of time.
- You can get some great deals on campgrounds that can help you save some serious money. Like the campground pictured above located right across from downtown Little Rock, AR. Not only are there great views but right next to the campground is a pedestrian bridge that brings you right into downtown.
- There is an app available for both iOS and Android users. This can be very helpful when finding a spot to camp while on the road.
- You can find some pretty unique campgrounds. We stayed at a health mine in Montana that was interesting and offered a beautiful campsite along a creek.
Kinnikinnick Campground & RV Park ($14/night with discount) located in Port Edward, BC is just a short drive to Prince Rupert.
- There are a lot of restrictions on when you can stay at each campground. For instance, most of the campgrounds don't allow you to use the Passport America discount during peak seasons, weekends, or holidays. For most, they also limit the number of days you can stay at the discounted rate. This can be a little challenging when planning your trip. Sometimes there are also restrictions on the actual parking spot you can pick, although given the steep discount it's still a win.
- For most of the campgrounds you have to call to make the reservation versus doing it online.
- It can be challenging to find participating campgrounds along your route or near your destination, it may just take a little extra work on your part.
Valley View RV Park ($30/night with discount) is just 15 miles west of Yellowstone National Park.
All-in-all, the Passport America membership is definitely a great deal and can help you save money. Good Sams, Harvest Host, and of course, Boondockers Welcome are all great membership programs that can save you money on overnight parking. We found it's helpful to have several so you're always sure to get a great deal on a camping site.