We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Little Ireland located in Callicoon, NY. This Boondockers Welcome site is hosted by Ron and Kathy, long-time natives of the New York area. Their beautiful secluded property can host large rigs and has power and water available. This host location is peaceful and serene yet just minutes away from all the Catskill Mountains have to offer.
Just a short drive from Little Ireland is the Callicoon Delaware River where you can kayak and may even get lucky enough to spot an eagle. Be sure to spend some time shopping and browsing all the quaint little towns that dot the landscape while taking in the culture of this area and enjoying some local food and beverage.
Another must-see is the original site of the Woodstock music festival located just a short drive from the host location. The grounds of this historic concert venue are open to the public with a full museum detailing the interesting history that encompassed the 1969 Summer of Love. The venue still hosts concerts regularly so be sure to check your travel calendar as you may have the opportunity to see a top-tier performance hosted on these historic grounds. Little Ireland was one of our favorite stops, and one not to be missed.
Enjoy the sights of New York and make yourself a New York City classic – a chopped cheese sandwich!
NYC Chopped Cheese
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 Tbl butter, divided
- ½ sweet onion, diced
- 2 tsp Montana Max’s Last Best Seasoning
- 4-6 slices of cheddar cheese
- 1 large tomato sliced thin
- 3 C lettuce, shredded
- 4 hero or hoagie rolls, sliced ¾ through
- 3 Tbl mayonnaise
- 3 Tbl Montana Max’s Kickin’ Ketchup
- Prep the hoagie buns by slicing them ¾ the way through.
- Heat a large skillet to medium-high and melt 1 Tbl butter. Toast the insides of the hoagie rolls in the skillet until lightly browned. Remove and set aside.
- Dice the onion.
- Melt 1 Tbl of butter in the same large skillet. Add diced onions and saute until translucent and beginning to caramelize.
- Add 1 lb ground beef in with the onions
- Break up the meat in the skillet and season with Last Best Seasoning.
- Cook beef with the onions until the meat is no longer pink.
- Drain any fat and return the meat and onions to the skillet.
- Place cheese slices on top of the meat mixture to melt over medium-low heat (cover with lid if needed to melt the cheese completely)
- Spread equal amounts of mayo onto the insides of each of the hoagie rolls.
- Drizzle the Kickin’ Ketchup across the mayo.
- Scoop equal amounts of the chopped meat and cheese mixture onto each of the prepared hoagie rolls.
- Top each chopped cheese hoagie with a generous amount of shredded lettuce and tomato slices. Serve warm and enjoy!
Learn More About Boondockers Welcome
We promise not to spam you!